Sunday, May 11, 2008

Justice is spelled MOM


Mother's Day is a wonderful time to celebrate Mom. We learn a great deal from our moms and they can teach us much about who God is. In our western tradition we commonly think of God as male. The truth is God is neither male nor female and while the Bible displays father charecteristics of God it also displays mother characteristics. "As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you" Isa. 66:13 "How often I have longed to gather my children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!" Lk. 13:34.


I had the privilege of speaking at Willow Lakes Church on Mother's Day and what I shared with those gathered was that we can learn much about God and about Justice from our MOMs.


Merciful - I am very grateful that Mom's are merciful. Mercy can be defined as compassion shown to an offender. Children offend often and were we to receive the punishment deserved it is unlikely any of us would make it to adulthood. Moms are merciful and compassionate. So is God.


At Administer Justice our vision is to Administer Justice with mercy and compassion. We see thousands of people in need of help and hope. In need of compassion and mercy which while part of God's character and command, "This is what the Lord Almighty says, 'Administer true Justice; show mercy and compassion to one another.'" Zech. 7:9, is still best understood through our moms.


I learned mercy and compassion from my grandmother. A Norwegian immigrant with a grade school education, she taught me much. She worked past retirement age in a home for abondoned children. Well into her eighties she volunteered for her church and many different community groups. While on a very limited income she never stopped giving regularly to support different Christian organizations. She spent several hours a day in prayer and through her prayers, her time, and her resources gave of herself to help others in need. My grandmother taught me to understand the hope that is found in a compassionate, merciful God. "this I call to mind and therefore I have hope: Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness." Lam. 3:21-23.


overseer - I am grateful for the oversight moms provide. Oversight can be defined as the function or duty of watching or guarding for the sake of proper direction or control. The dictionary even says - like a mother gives oversight to children as they play. How difficult it is for moms to watch their children grow. Always wanting to rescue them but knowing that for the good of their children they cannot do that. They walk that difficult balance between proper direction and control. God provides this as well. While he could control us he provides us freedom. He longs to place us under his wings like a mother hen but he allows difficulties and suffering to help us mature and persevere (Rom. 5:3-5; James 1:2-4).


At Administer Justice we believe in this lesson learned from our moms. We walk a difficult balance between rescuing someone from all the troubles facing them and helping them understand the purpose in trials and suffering. We encourage individuals to be proactive in resolving their issues and seek to empower them through education to better equip them for future conflicts.


I learned this important lesson of oversight from my mother. She had three sons and I was the oldest and most head-strong among us. Many are the nights she prayed for me. She always stood by willing to help but she let me learn and make mistakes while doing all she could to minimize the seriousness of those mistakes. And this lesson helps us understand God. As Jeremiah wrote in Lamentations, "Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love. For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men... to deprive a man of justice - would not the Lord see such things?" Lam. 3:32-33,36.


M ischief and Misfortune. Mom's are Merciful Overseers of Mischief and Misfortune. Mischief is that which we bring upon ourselves and misfortune is that which we have no control over. Every mother knows how mischievous a child can be. From the moment they are mobile they challenge mom on what can be touched or put inside the mouth. As children get older the challenges change but that rebellious spirit remains. The Bible calls that rebellion sin. At the same time mom's feel the pain of misfortune. A child loses a job, experiences a health crisis, marriage crisis or other serious issue, and Mom's heart breaks. These are outside her control but she weeps over the pain and longs to see things restored.


We understand God's heart when we understand our moms. Jesus wept over Jerusalem for them to turn toward him. Jeremiah similarly wept, "Let us examine our ways and test them, and let us return to the Lord. Let us lift up our hearts and our hands to God in heaven and say,'We have sinned and rebelled.'" Lam. 3:40-42.


At Administer Justice we see a mixture of mischief and misfortune. Some problems result from bad choices while others result from circumstances beyond anyone's control. Regardless of the cause our desire is to demonstrate a heart of compassion, love and concern for the individual. We want them to experience peace in the midst of difficult circumstances. And we want to see them restored.


I think mischief could probably best be defined as twin boys. While my sons are a great blessing they are certainly a great challenge as well and I learn about love and patient understanding as I watch my wife be a mom to our boys. Her unconditional love teaches me about the love God has for me. No matter what I have done nothing can separate me from the love of God.


I believe being a Merciful Overseer of Mischief and Misfortune is the heart of a MOM. I believe it demonstrates true justice, mercy, compassion and love. And I believe it reflects the heart of God. Thank you moms. Thank you God.